Indian Associations in Virginia
There are multiple Indian community associations in Virginia.
Gujaratis, Marathis, Malayalees, Tamils, Kannadigas, Telugus, Bengalis and Punjabis have all formed their own associations to represent interests and needs of their respective communities.
These Indian associations are very active and organize periodical events to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi, Dasara, Diwali, Sankranti, Ugadi and Vishu and Indian Independence Day, Republic Day that bond the community.
Often, these India festival celebrations include cultural programs like Carnatic Music concerts, Kuchipudi, Bhangra and Bollywood dance as well as food vendors peddling Biryani, Idly, Tandoori Chicken, Dokhla, Samosa etc.
Here are a few Indian associations that are active in Virginia:
- Gujarati Samaj of Metropolitan Washington
- Kaveri Kannada Sangha Cultural Organization representing Kannada speaking people from Karnataka state in South India.
- India Association of Virginia
- Richmond Kannada Sangha Cultural organization founded by and for the Kannada speaking people of the Richmond, Virginia and vicinity
- Richmond Marathi Mandal Cultural organization founded by and for the Marathi speaking people of the Richmond, Virginia and vicinity
- Richmond Malayalee Association
- Richmond Tamil Sangam Aims to support interaction & networking between Tamil families in the Richmond area
- Virginia Tech Indian Students Association 502 Hunt Club Rd, Apt 103
- Virginia Tamil Academy
- Greater Washington Telugu Cultural Sangam
Blacksburg, VA 24060